Flash Flood Dangers
Spring is coming to Southwest Colorado and high tempuratures combined with recent snowfall or rain can easily create prime conditions for flash floods.
Flooding is the #1 weather related cause of death, with majority of those deaths caused by flash flooding. Flash flooding is when there is a large amount of rain that comes down within minutes or hours. Other causes can be heavy rain associated with a severe thunderstorm, hurricane, tropical storm, or melt water from ice or snow flowing over ice sheets or snowfields.
If flooding does occur in your area, please remember
- Listen to NOAA Weather Radio for current and forecasted conditions in your area.
- If flooding begins in your area, go to higher ground immediately.
- When driving, always be aware that the road bed under flood waters may be severely damaged. NEVER drive through flooded roadways. Remember that it takes only two feet of water to carry away a vehicle, including pickups and SUVs.
- When walking, do not attempt to cross flowing streams. Remember that it takes only six inches of rushing water to knock an adult off his feet.
- If your vehicle stalls, get out immediately and go to higher ground.
- Be extra cautious at night, when it is harder to see possible flood dangers.
- These four words could save your life: TURN AROUND, DON’T DROWN.
When it comes to water damage from flooding, safety is the number one priority. When you can insure the safety of your family and conditions have improved, that is when to call in the professionals and assess damage. Our SERVPRO Team is Ready for Whatever Happens.
If flooding does occur in your area, listen to and adhere to weather alerts and warnings and know your risk!
See the link below to learn about some of History’s worst and most extreme recorded Floods in the U.S. https://www.bustle.com/articles/85907-the-8-worst-floods-in-us-history-show-how-devastating-extreme-weather-can-be.
We have all of the personnel, equipment, and resources necessary to tackle any size emergency. Our staff is available 24-hours a day, 7-days a week to respond and provide you with quality solutions you can count on to keep your resort running smoothly.
SERVPRO of Archuleta, Montezuma, La Plata & San Juan Counties is here to help you 24/7/365 with any flood and water damage issue.
Please call us at 970-259-6184.