If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (970) 259-6184

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Common Causes of Fires in your Cortez Home

3/8/2022 (Permalink)

House on fire House on fire

An accidental fire can ignite frightening unpredictability, spread uncontrollably in seconds, and decimate a home within minutes. House fires endanger everyone in the home, and even small fires that are put out quickly often result in thousands of dollars of damage. In all the leading causes of house fires in the U.S., property owners, manufacturers, and other parties can be liable if someone is injured or killed in a house fire. 

List of the most common causes of house fires in the Durango

Heating Equipment

Space heaters can cause fires when placed too close to other items. Anything that is combustible or can catch fire should not be anywhere near a space heater. Space heaters should not be left unattended. Always follow the instructions on any heating device you use, and inspect it regularly to ensure it is in good condition.


Cooking fires are among the most common house fires, causing around 49 percent of all residential fires.

Tools and food can catch on fire and spread quickly. If someone is not in the kitchen to extinguish the fire, it spreads rapidly through the house. Portable cooking appliances can also source fires, such as toasters and electric grills. Never leave these portable appliances unsupervised, and make sure they are cool to the touch before storing them away. Every kitchen should have a fire extinguisher that is rated for kitchen fires.  

Smoking Materials

Smoking causes thousands of houses fires each year. House fires can start from a lit cigarette or a lighter. Accidentally fires from cigarette butts dropped on carpeting, furniture, or other flammable materials can quickly spread through the entire house. Smoking outside of the home is the most effective way to reduce the risk of house fires caused by smoking materials.

Christmas Tree Fires

Christmas tree fires are another leading cause of house fires. Christmas tree fires also caused about $14.8 million in property damage each year. Never leave Christmas tree lights plugged in when you are not at home or sleeping, no matter if the tree is natural or artificial. Also, the lights left turned on cause the tree to overheat and catch fire.


Leaving appliances unattended and misusing appliances are also common causes of home appliance fires. Appliances result in thousands of houses fires each year. Fires started by an appliance can quickly spread to other rooms in the house. Defective appliances can cause a spark, which ignites a fire.


Candles should never be left unattended. Keep matches and lighters locked in a secure place if you have kids. You can reduce the risk of fires caused by candles by trimming the wicks each time you use the candle. Electric and battery-operated candles can also help reduce the risk of house fires caused by candles.

In the unfortunate event that a Residential building in the Durango area does catch fire, rest assured that SERVPRO of Durango is prepared to help clean up any fire damage the building/area has sustained. We are a 24/7 emergency response. Call us today at 970-259-6184

Other News

View Recent Posts